Wednesday, February 16, 2011

DAVID MAYFIELD PARADE RELEASES STUNNING SELF-TITLED DEBUT

Grammy-nominated musician and producer David Mayfield released his debut album, The David Mayfield Parade, last week on 9th Grade Records (January 4, 2011), and there is already a strong buzz surrounding the release. In fact, Marcus Mumford of Mumford & Songs called it “an absolutely brilliant record.” The album is Mayfield’s debut and the label was co-founded by Mayfield and his current manager, Josh Joplin, and the music on it effortlessly ventures from classic AM radio rock with lush string arrangements to unadorned alt-country ballads whose lovelorn subjects evoke the outlaw songs of the early 70’s. It succeeds and endures because at its heart it does not pretend to be anything but what it is, a sincere rock record.

"I had these songs together and knew I wanted to make a record,” said Mayfield. “I had just finished a long tour with Cadillac Sky, and when I got home I called my good friend Bob Cesare (Drums) in Akron, Ohio. Bob played drums on my sister’s record, Blasphemy So Heartfelt, as well as Dan Auerbach's solo record. I knew he would understand my concept for how the Parade should sound. We recorded the majority of the album live at Bobs using his huge collection of vintage guitars and amps. After that we drove down to North Carolina and my fiends The Avett Brothers where kind enough to sing and play on about half the record. They bring such an honest emotion to this project, and I couldn't imagine it without them."

Mayfield, known to be a force of nature on stage with boundless energy and enthusiasm for performing, also has a sincerity that is reflected in every performance. There is no posturing, no façade, nothing but great songs and the instruments to play them. His ability to connect with audiences from performances at Bonnaroo and MerleFest, to NPR’s Mountain Stage and The Grand Ole Opry, have earned him the reputation of being the kind of extraordinary artist who goes beyond trend and simply delivers genuinely essential music—and much of that stems from Mayfield’s roots.

"I grew up in a family band, with my baby sister (Jessica Lea Mayfield),” says David. “We lived in a bus once owned by bluegrass legend Bill Monroe. We didn't have a lot but we did have two fantastic parents who taught us the value of doing what you love and to not be afraid to jump head first into an adventure. We supported the entire family for years with nothing but music."

Mayfield says while making the album, he drew inspiration from his musical heroes Buddy Holly, Harry Nilsson, and Randy Newman and the albums he grew up listening to, Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and Melanie's "Gather Me.”

"I used to buy albums at the thrift store for a quarter, I had no idea who I was buying some stuff I would hate and some stuff just blew me away,” he says. “I remember running to my parents like I had just discovered something – ‘Hey Dad, have you ever heard of Simon & Garfunkel? They are awesome.’ He would just laugh and say, ‘Yeah, I think they were pretty popular.’"

So far, in addition to Paste Magazine debuting the video for “I Just Might Pray,” one of the album’s tracks, “BlueSkiesAgain,” will be the single on Jessica Lea Mayfield's Nonesuch release produced by Auerbach. But Mayfield’s music is not exactly new to some. His song, “Bible Days” was featured on an episode of CSI:NY; and “Ballad Of Restored Confidence” was the featured cover mounted track on Uncut Magazine.

“Mayfield’s songs...Push the sonic boundaries”---Washington Post

"David Mayfield quietly has been making waves as a support player, but his album should turn ears and heads on its own." -- Charlotte Observer

“David Mayfield has a voice as warm and friendly as a James Taylor smile." ---Atlanta Music Guide

The David Mayfield Parade is currently on tour in support of the debut, and for more information, please visit www.davidmayfieldparade.com

No comments: