Thursday, June 28, 2012

THE DUST ENGINEERS Cover "So American" for 4th of July!



Fresh off the heals of releasing their video for “Freeway Freakout” on My Old Kentucky Blog last week, The Dust Engineers are back at it again to create fireworks with their cover of the 1978 track “So American.” Originally performed by The Mutants and then again by Dodge Dart, The Dust Engineers have put a nice twist on the song, with singers Zac Meyer’s and Sara Maeder’s voices dancing around each other playfully in the piece, creating a stellar cover. Guitar player Erik Rosenberg explains The Dust Engineers’ relationship to the song:

“The Dust Engineers' version of "So American" was about eleven years in the making. Ironically, I first heard "So American" while living in Israel.  At fifteen years old I popped my first skateboarding video, Black Label's "Label Kills," into the VCR.  The soundtrack was packed with great bands like The Clash and Cheap Trick, but the song accompanying Jeff Grosso's skating stood out from the rest.  As the closing credits rolled down the screen I stuck my head right up to the TV to get the name and artist of the song.  I went to my computer and typed "So American" into Napster.  Nothing came up.  These were the very early days of the internet and Dodge Dart was not available at my local record store so I could really only listen to the song while watching the video. 
  
Fast forward about a decade later into the digital era, I started playing with The Dust Engineers.  Our quest for Americana reminded me of the song and with the help of YouTube I was able to easily find a recording of the song.  I emailed a link to the rest of the band and they loved it.  We started playing it live and our fans loved it too, so we recorded it last week in the practice space.” 


UPCOMING SHOWS

July 20th – The Station, Philadelphia, PA
July 28th – Delinquency Warehouse, Brooklyn, NY
August 3rd – Pete’s Candy Store, Brooklyn, NY

No comments: